ABOUT THE HALL

The Townsend Hall caters for all types of business, social and recreational events. Registered charity no. 522997

The Townsend Hall has been host to many events throughout the year which has included well known acts such as the Military Wives, Paul Jones and Dave Kelly, Mike Sanchez and the Midland Youth Jazz Orchestra (MYJO).  The hall is also the location for many clubs in the town and is a very active and well used hall. The mission is to provide a venue where members of the local community can meet, take part in or just enjoy leisure activities which enhance the life of the residents by coming together to play an active part to improve their well being and education. The aim is to provide hirers with a venue that is of sufficient standard to fulfil there aspirations at a reasonable cost which must include improvements and change in statutory regulations. The Townsend Hall offers facilities to groups, families and business throughout the Stour Valley. The Hall can cater for 400 seated for a concert, pantomime,or play. The Hall offers facilities for wedding receptions. Badminton and soft ball tennis are already played at the hall. 3 rooms are available depending on the size of the event required. The Holden Room, The Conservatory and the Main Hall. A recent edition to the facilities is the patio area ideal for enjoying a drink at any function.

FACILITIES

1907

The building originally known as “The Hostel” was donated to the Trustees for the benefit of the inhabitants of Shipston-on-Stour and district.

1952

First moves to modernise and improve the Hall. Powers of the Trustees were transferred to a democratically elected management.

1961

The building was enlarged and officially opened by Valerie Hobson. By the late 1970’s, the Trustees had diminished and the Hall was being run mainly by a local solicitor.

1980

The solicitor left the area new Trustees are appointed – Richard Taylor  –  Chairman Martyn Holden  –  Treasurer John Packham  –  Secretary The new Trustees found the Hall to be in need of considerable repairs.  Finances were in a poor state but with careful management some improvements were made.  

1987

Monies from the sale of two 18th century watercolours enabled major improvements to be made to the building.  The roof was re – felted and new heating was installed.

1996

The caretakers cottage in Sheep Street was sold off and the existing flat was installed within the building.

2000

The secretary resigned leaving only two Trustees to run the Hall.

2008

A new body of Trustees was appointed and embarked on fund raising to carry out much needed improvements.  The kitchen was renovated, repairs carried out to the front of the building and new windows fitted

2009

The Main Hall Windows and Exit Doors and external cladding were replaced.

2011

Refurbishment to the flat area at the back of the hall were carried out.

2012

The main hall floor is rerurbished.

2013

Acoustic doors are installed.

2014

Main Hall redecorated and new curtains to all hall windows.

2015

A new projector, electric screen and music deck is purchased and installed.

2016

New website with online ticket purchasing launched.

CURRENT TRUSTEES

Chairman Geoff Ridgway

Vice Chairman David Squires

Secretary Mike Ashley

Treasurer Malcolm Temple

Fund Raising David Squires

Committee Jenny Glover, Peter Johnson, Richard Taylor, Mike Jeffries and Mark Beaumont.